Thursday, October 28, 2010

Question For You

I'm hand washing a couple of blouses this morning.  It's not one of my favorite things to do, but they are nice blouses - one, a Jones New York which cost me major bucks, and the other, a Liz Claibourne I got for a song at the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  As I say, I'm not crazy about hand laundry. My wool knitted socks go into the washer in a lingerie bag, though not in the dryer.  Anyway, if I want these two shirts to look their best, I'll do what it takes.

I have a frustrating situation with one of the women in the Tuesday Nite Knitters group.  She categorically refuses to swatch, or to block, anything!  She states emphatically for all to hear that she doesn't need to do either and her garments always fit perfectly and look great.  It's so hard for me when I am all eager to share with the group the things I'm learning in my research and projects for the Master Knitter Course, and she continues to not only refuse to learn anything new, but puts down everything I say, and tells the others they don't need to do what I suggest.  (She also has her own ideas about casting on and seaming, etc. etc. etc.)

Now, going back to paragraph one, I'm not crazy about swatching and blocking either, but I do it, and try to do it well, because I know how much it improves my knitting, so I'll do what it takes.  I'm reminded of a sign in my dentist's office which states "You only need to floss the teeth you want to keep."  So I'll keep learning and swatching and blocking because I want my projects to look their best.  I just need to learn how to sit for an hour and a half every Tuesday evening without grinding my teeth and elevating my blood pressure.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment